Sunday, April 3, 2016

March Magics Wrapup



And just like that! March is over - almost like magic.........(heh.)

If you recall, I had BIG plans for my March reading, and in typical fashion, they mostly fell through. In my defense, my lack of following the plan was not due to me reading other things - I just struggled to find the time to read anything at all! The month was busier than I expected, and the kiddos couldn't seem to stay healthy, and the reading just didn't happen.

That said, I DID accomplish SOMETHING -

I read my first Terry Pratchett novel! And OOOOH was it good! I love this world, I love these characters - I am only mad that I have waited THIS LONG to dip my toes into Discworld!

I think part of the reason I'd held back is because, for me, when a book (or movie or tv show or whatever) is sold to me as "funny", it often falls flat. The things authors or creators find funny are frequently not the same things I find funny, so things that are supposed to make me laugh often.....don't. So I think I was worried that I just wouldn't get the humor, and so wouldn't enjoy the series as much as everyone else in the world.

Well, shouldn't have worried in this case. Pratchett is just charming, and his humor was evident and extremely successful. I loved the way he used this book to poke a little bit at the idea of "men's work" vs "women's work" - a serious subject, but without the harsh edges because of Pratchett's light touch.

I'm so happy I decided to dive into Discworld. I will definitely be reading more in this expansive universe.


I am also NEARLY done with Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones. It took me a while to get into the flow - the beginning seemed like it jumped all over a bit, so I had a hard time really sinking my teeth into the story. I'm now just over 3/4 done, though, and really loving it. The family relationships are great, and all the weird animals are so much fun. This is definitely reminding me why I found DWJ so enchanting, and prodding me to read more in her extensive library.












So there you have it - not stellar, but not a bust. As always, I enjoyed my time in the March Magics universe, and am thankful to Kristen for hosting again.


2 comments:

Jenny @ Reading the End said...

Historically I have nearly always had a hard time getting into the flow of a new Diana Wynne Jones book, so you're just having the full experience! :p Aw, I love that you're reading Dark Lord of Derkholm for the first time. Are you going to read Year of the Griffin next? It's set in the same world and has some of the same characters, and it's one of my all-time favorite comfort reads. Boarding school books are catnip to me.

Kristen M. said...

I totally agree about the funny thing. I love Terry Pratchett and Jasper Fforde and Douglas Adams' kind of funny but then I tried a Christopher Moore book and our sense of humor just did not match. I'm glad you got along with Pratchett though! You have a lot of fun reading ahead of you. :)
And Derkholm is definitely a messy book but once you get into it, it's the best! And I totally second Jenny in saying that Year of the Griffin should totally be your next DWJ. It's the same characters (plus some) but a COMPLETELY different kind of book. Sometimes I like it better. ;)