Thursday, August 8, 2013

Book Thoughts - Finding Colin Firth by Mia March

Finding Colin Firth by Mia March
published 7/9/31
336 pages

Synopsis from publisher -

After losing her job and leaving the husband she dearly loves, twenty-nine-year-old journalist Gemma Hendricks is desperate to save her career by scoring an interview with Colin Firth. But a much more local story steals her heart - and just may save her rocky marriage too. Thirty-eight-year-old waitress Veronica Russo, shocked by the unannounced arrival of the daughter she gave up for adoption two decades ago, becomes an extra on the movie set, wondering if happy endings - and a real life Mr. Darcy - are even possible. Twenty-two-year-old student Bea Crane, alone and adrift, longs to connect with Veronica, her birth mother, but she’ll discover more than she ever imagined in this coastal Maine town. And just when they least expect it in a summer full of surprises, all three women may find what they’re looking for most of all…


My thoughts -

This was an absolutely perfect summer read. If you have a vacation in your future that involves long hours sitting next to water, you should probably take this novel with you. It was sweet and funny and smart, and I enjoyed every minute.

Each of the three main characters faces a turning point in their lives - a serious, life-changing decision that will alter the course of their future. I haven't been in any of the situations described in the novel, but I still felt like I could empathize with each dilemma. I understood completely why each character felt the way she did, and could relate to their struggle to make the right decision. Yet even with all these serious moments, the novel never felt heavy - it was full of humor and fun, and I looked forward to picking it up each time I had the chance to read.

I think March's strength is in her characters- Bea, Veronica, and Gemma were each interesting and complex women, with strengths and flaws that made them feel completely real. I didn't find myself irritated with any of them at any point (a problem I have often when reading women's fiction). I also enjoyed the secondary characters, and found myself wanting to know more about some of their backstories. (Imagine my delight to discover that March has already written one book about this lovely town, featuring three of the characters I found most enjoyable. Guess what book I'll be looking for next?!)

The storyline itself was not particularly new or surprising - more than once, I could sense what would be coming ahead for a character. But I was having so much fun with the story that I really didn't care - it felt familiar and comforting rather than predictable, and I was happy to be correct in predicting happy endings.

I really found this novel to be a delight. It made me happy- what more could I ask for? Recommended.

Finished - 7/26/13
Source - review copy from publisher via Netgalley - thank you!
MPAA rating - PG-13 for some adult situations and language
My rating - 8/10

1 comment:

Anna said...

I must admit I've wanted to read this book since I saw Colin Firth in the title. ;) Glad to see you liked it!