Sunday, March 1, 2009

TSS - Monthly wrap-up


Time once again to recap what I've been busy reading this month. It has been a pretty good month for me, in retrospect. I have met some new authors, tackled a couple of classics, and read some good books!

Alaska by James Michener
- my introduction to Michener, thanks to my Grandpa, and the kickoff to my Relative Reads feature. Also, a great story. Finished 2/8/09, rated 8/10. (my review here)

Ulysses by James Joyce - my first read for the Modern Library 100 Best challenge, I have now decided I never have to read Joyce again. Finished 2/5/09, rated 3/10. (my review here)

The Mighty Queens of Freeville by Amy Dickinson
- review book for Bookloons.com, this was a pleasant memoir about a single mom raising her daughter with help from her family. Finished 2/12/09, rated 7/10. (my review here)

Journey by James Michener - the continuing story of Alaska, this time focusing on the Klondike gold rush. Finished 2/14/09, rated 8/10. (my review here)

The Story of Forgetting by Stefan Merrill Block
- beautiful novel about two families dealing with early -onset Alzheimers. Finished 2/15/09, rated 8/10. (my review here)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- Newbery-winning story of a boy who grows up in a graveyard. Great! Finished 2/16/09, rated 9/10. (my review here)

The Musician's Daughter by Susanne Dunlap
- review book for Curledup.com about a young girl trying to solve the mystery of her father's death. Finished 2/17/09, rated 7/10. (review forthcoming)

Hardly Knew Her by Laura Lippman
- collection of short stories all involving some sort of crime, by the author of the Tess Monaghan mystery series. Fun, gritty read. Finished 2/22/09, rated 7/10.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- classic dystopian novel about book burning - this is a great read! Finished 2/27/09, rated 8/10. (my review here)

3 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

It sounds like you read some really good books this month! I've been wanting to give Michener a try and it sounds like I should. Happy reading :)

bermudaonion said...

You had a great month in books!

jlshall said...

Your "Relative Reads" idea sounds wonderful! I'm not sure my family would be able to come up with such interesting recommendations. I've read several books by Michener, but neither of the ones you mention. Sounds like you've had a really great reading month.