Monday, December 29, 2008

Mailbox Monday




This, friends, will be just the first in a series of posts I am entitling:

"My loved ones feed my Book Addiction at Christmas."

I seriously scored in the bookstore gift card category this year. Boy, do I feel loved!





Here's the first haul of the season:

Crossing Brooklyn Ferry by Jennie Fields - woman with depressed husband tries to better her family's life

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum - a woman tries to uncover her mother's story of the Holocaust

It Wakes in Me by Kathleen O'Neal Gear - book two of the Black Falcon trilogy

Children of God by Mary Doria Russell
- continuing story of Jesuit priest Emilio Sandoz as he returns to his own world.

The Reckoning and Falls The Shadow, both by Sharon Kay Penman - fantastic historical fiction by one of the masters of the genre

Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks - a young woman caught up in liberating France from the Nazis

East of the Mountains by David Guterson
- an old man ventures out on his last hunt.

No Angel by Penny Vincenzi - saga of a publishing family during WWI.


So, who's read these? Any comments? Suggestions? Catcalls from the peanut gallery?

9 comments:

Serena said...

I haven't read any of these, but they look like some good reads. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

Jenners said...

Hi -- Thanks for stopping by my Mailbox Monday post. I enjoyed reading yours -- though I was not familiar with any of the books. You gave me some ideas of things to wish for on Paperback Swap. I'll be adding your blog to my book blogroll. I also checked out your best and worst of the year list -- it is always fun to read those. Good for you for taking a stand and saying whether you disliked a book. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with Ann Patchett; I loved Bel Canto but haven't cared too much for anything else she has written. Maybe I'll check out Run and she can get back in my good graces!

Thanks for sharing!

Andi said...

Look at that haul! Those are some tasty-looking books though I haven't read a single one.

Megan said...

Looks like a great haul! I haven't read any, but I know I've got a few of them on Mt. TBR and a couple on my wish list, so I'll be interested to see what you think of them.

Anna said...

What a great list of books! I'd love to read the WWII-related titles. Looking forward to your thoughts.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Anonymous said...

You got a lot of books! I haven't read any of them, so I look forward to your reviews.

Wendi said...

Wow - lots of those look really good. Charlotte Gray is on my shelf somewhere. I keep meaning to pull it down. Here's my Mailbox!

:) Wendi

Elizabeth said...

I can't believe I picked a stack of books that NOONE had read any of! Boy, that's kinda impressive with this group! =)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by the 'mailbox' this week. I haven't heard of, much less read, any of those titles. Enjoy!

Happy New Year!